Sunday, October 13, 2002

FUNNIEST MOMENTS FROM EATING AT A CHINESE BANQUET WITH WHITE PEOPLE
Karena and I went to another wedding yesterday and sat with all her co-workers during the banquet. It was at a Chinese place in Cerritos. And let me tell you, it was interesting watching them eat all this traditional Chinese food. Here's the recap:
- Everyone starts playing with their chopsticks -- proving that they can use them correctly. But that gets old so they start putting them in their mouths to resemble fangs, in their noses, etc.
- When the cold plate comes, everyone agrees to try the jellyfish, but they all hate it. And I really mean HATE! So, I was forced to step up and try to eat all of it myself. (Hey, I'm really Chinese)
- When the lobster came, everyone tried to pick the pieces that were easy to get meat out of. And everybody was trying to be so polite by using their chopsticks to pry the meat out. Meanwhile, I took all the pieces with the legs and just bit down on those bad boys and feasted. I must have looked barbaric to them.
- Afterward, Karena wanted to put our plates with all the bones and shells on the serving dish so the waiters could take it all away. But I thought that might be perceived as too rude. But we did it anyway and it all worked out because all the white people at the table did it too.
- They were both grossed out and loved the fact that both the chicken and the fish dishes came complete with their heads. They played with both for a long time ... and I do mean loooooooooonnnnng time.

Karena and I just sat there, watching them experience a true Chinese banquet, and thought to each other, "Wow, wait 'til April 26th!"
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]