Friday, September 13, 2002

LAST THOUGHTS ON SEPT 11 ONE YEAR LATER
I was really afraid the TV coverage would just be way too much, but I think it was just the right amount. There weren't too many times where they showed the planes crashing into buildings. And I know that was a huge area of controversy because many people felt showing those gruesome images were inappropriate and would just force America to re-live those events and feel those same emotions all over again. At first, I strongly disagreed with that statement. But after thinking about it more, I understand their point a little better. That's because I had a similar experience when I was in New York last October.
I froze up as I came upon a bulletin board literally over-flowing with fliers and pictures of people missing after the attacks. I reached for my camera and had the perfect opportunity to take a photo with those fliers in focus in the background and a man's silhouette standing in front of it. It really was going to be a great photo. But, somehow, I couldn't bring myself to take it. Why? Because I felt it just wasn't right to capitalize on these families' losses just to get a "good picture." It felt wrong. And I can see how showing airplanes hitting buildings over and over could feel the same way.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]