Monday, September 23, 2002

EATING LIKE A KING ... AND A PEASANT
I had the most exhilarating and most bizarre eating experience last Saturday night. Karena and I went to her boss' house for a pool party/dinner. Everything was going really well until we sat down for dinner.
The tables were set up. Brand-new table cloth was placed neatly on top. Then, the food started coming.
Alaskan king crab (emphasis on the "king" part). They were the length of my fingertips to my elbow! And since Karena didn't like them very much, she just kept using the crab scissors to cut me more. It was amazing because I was eating huge chunks of crab at a time. Soo good! We also had jumbo shrimp (emphasis on the jumbo), russett potatoes, spicy sausage (so good!), corn, and garlic bread. I really did feel like I was a king.
But at the same time I felt like a peasant.
Why?
The was the food was served was very ... interesting. All that food was just plopped onto the middle of the table, right onto the table cloth. No plates, no utensils, nothing! We were given 2 napkins -- one for your lap and one to serve as you plate. We were also given a brown grocery paper bag to put our trash into. So, there we were, all 30 people, digging in with our hands all wet and dirty, stuffing our faces.
It was the richest and poorest I've ever felt ... at the same time.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]