Thursday, August 22, 2002

SITTING IN ON A READING OF A PLAY
Last night, I did something I never thought I'd do. I went with Karena and her co-workers to one of their patient's apartments to listen to him read his play. Now, we all admitted beforehand that we were all going merely out of obligation. But when all was said and done, I was definitely glad I went.
The play was a very personal look at the two years he has recently endured after waking up one morning to find his house engulfed in flames after an explosion. He suffered burns to 75-80% and has endured roughly 50 surgeries since then. But it's obviously he has overcome all the emotional baggage that an experience like that would bring because he was able to creatively write about his experiences for all of us to share. And amazingly enough, it was actually pretty hilarious. Afterward, I just sat there and watched him read his script. He was engulfed again. But this time, he was engulfed not by flames, but by the glorious feeling of a triumphant return from the deepest valley of his life. He, compelete with his full personality, heart, and feelings, was back.
And just just sat there ... amazed.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]