Sunday, August 11, 2002

SERVICE PROJECT AND LEADERSHIP
I have to admit that the idea of leadership and being a leader is always something is on my mind. I have this ongoing thought that I am more of a hard worker, a do-er, and a follower than a leader. It's always been hard for me to come up with a plan or a vision for how something should go. But it's very easy for me to take a plan and refine it and carry it out.
For example, my cousin Jonathan is well on his way to becoming an Eagle Scout. One of the things he has to do was completely be in charge of arranging a service project for the community. So we gathered about 15 of his friends (and some of their fathers) to help plant 40 plants into a nearby elementary school. He worked it out with the school's principal that w would need Saturday and Sunday to completet he work. With help from his mother and sister, he got Krispy Kreme to donate breakfast, Costco to sell pizzas 50% off, a nearby nursery to donate the plants, and got his friends to donate their time and their gardening tools.
When I showed up at 9 am yesterday, I was surprised at what I saw. These guys had begun working at 7am (can you believe that?) and were nearly halfway done with the project. But what was even more impressive was the way Jonathan was able to lead these group of guys and see the vision of what this school was going to look like when we were done.
"Make sure you dig holes that are even!!!"
"Hey, I need you two to move these plants over there!!!"
"Can you guys work first before messing around?"

Was Jonathan being a little tough? At times. But he was awesome. I saw a lot of good leadership skills in him ... maybe even more than in me. His leading was so good that we not only planted the 40 plants, but we also planted abouty 35 more for a grand total of 75 trees planted ... and still finished a day ahead of schedule. Amazing.
I just hope and pray that I can help lead Koinonia with that same passion, vision, and God willing, that same result.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]