Monday, August 05, 2002

THE NAME GAME
Working at the hospital is like being in college again, in terms of playing the name game, that is. In college, I would always see a bunch of people I would only consider acquaintances. You know the type. These are the people you would be happy to say hello to, but you probably don't even know their last name or anything else about them. And this name game only gets worse when you go to a big school like UCLA because you often times don't seem them very often and you have to remember their names on the spot. I remember one time, I ran into this girl I hadn't seen since last school year. She said, "Hi Victor!" and I said, "Hey. How's it going?" While we exchanged pleasantries, I kept thinking in my head, "What's her name? What is her name?!?" Finally, she boldly says, "You don't remember my name, do you?" I was mortified. It wasn't until about 2 minutes later, after we were done talking and were walking our separate ways, that I remembered. So, I turned around to shout, "It's JENNNNNNNNNNIFFFFFEEER!!! I remember now!" Sometimes, I can be so dumb.
And when the roles are reversed and people can't remember my name right away, I end up getting called "Vincent" 9 out of 10 times. This has caused me to get a little irritated at being called that name. This phenomenon probably happens about once to twice a week at the hospital when I see other staff that I don't normally see very often. So, if you want to really rub me the wrong way, just start calling me "Vincent." But I'm warning you now, Vincent has sort-of become my alter-ego ... and he's not very nice.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]