Thursday, August 29, 2002

IT'S A GOOD THING
I have to say that even though I hated going to Chinese School every Saturday morning for over 8 years, I have to admit that it was a good thing. And even though I often slept (and snored) while taking 5 quarters of Chinese at UCLA, it was well worth it. Why?
Today, I had three Chinese-only speaking patients. Although I felt badly for the student who was with me who couldn't understand a word we were saying to each other, it felt really good to be able to be to communicate with them. One of the patients even said, "It's so good to finally be able to talk to someone and have them understand me!" Doctors and nurses had me translating for them throughout the day. Sure, my mandarin isn't the greatest (i.e. I can't say things like "respiratory distress" or "hydrocephalus" or even "stroke," but being able to translate the basics for the doctors makes me feel like I'm the man.
Or should I say the ren!
=)
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]