Saturday, August 24, 2002

BEING JERRY WEST ... WELL, SORT OF
Most of you know Jerry West to be one of the NBA's 50 greatest players of all time. He was so good that it is his silhouette that appears as the NBA's official logo. He was a great winner and a great Laker (those two go hand in hand). More recently, he served as the Lakers' great talent recruiter. He knew exactly who to draft and who get trade for. He drafted Magic Johnson, even though there were many doubts about him. He drafted James Worthy and traded for Byron Scott to establish the '80s showtime era. And he is the reason why Shaq, Kobe, Horry, Fox and the boys have been tearin' up the league these past three years.
But this drove him nuts.
You must be thinking, "What? That makes no sense?!?" Yup, he couldn't bear to watch Laker games anymore because he was such a worry-wart and a pessimist that he was afraid some failure might come in the midst of all the pressure for success. And eventually, the success drove him out of the business with the Lakers.
In some ways, I am like Jerry West. No, my baskeball skills are not all that and I wouldn't even consider myself amongst the 50 greatest of all times at anything I do, but I sympathize with his love for worrying. See, anytime I put on a function or "run the show," I am filled with worrisome thoughts.
Did I make enough punch for the party? What if it tastes bad? I hope I don't screw up this chord while I'm leading worship? How will this night of Koinonia go? Am I being too loud? Too soft?"
The list goes on and on.
Karena spoke very candidly with me about it yesterday. "You can't live like that. The world does NOT revolve around you. And if things go badly, what's the big deal? What does it say in Ecclesiastes?"
After thinking about what she said, I have decided two things: (1) She's right; and (2) It's smart of me to marry her.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]