Sunday, May 05, 2002

NOSTALGIA
It seems like everyone is looking back to the past these days. Just look at all the TV specials coming out - The Cosby Show, American Bandstand, NBC and CBS both have anniversaries where they look back at all their shows. And for some reason or another, I find myself looking back at old pictures too.
Nostalgia is something I treasure. It's comfortable and familiar. And thoughts of the past really came rushing at me while watching Spider-man on opening day with Nathan, Jason, Debbie, and Julie. First off, I have to tangent and say that I always love watching big movies on opening day because the crowd has this electricity to it where people clap and cheer throught the whole movie. I love that! And you're probably wondering about the grade I'd give the movie, right? Well, I give it an A-. The dialogue was very cheesy, even by my standards. But I think Tobey Maguire did a great job playing the kind of dorky Peter Parker. And I like Kirsten Dunst so have her play her usual bubbly character was fine for me. And Willem Dafoe was great as the Green Goblin.
But I disgress. Let's get back to nostalgia. At the very end of the movie, as the credits are finishing up, they play the old "Spider-Man" theme song. Wow did that moment bring back memories!!! I thought back to those days I would watch the cartoon on Channel 11 after school, which got me thinking about other cartoons like Voltron and Robotech, which got me thinking about all the comic books I used to collect and still have ... somewhere, which got me thinking about my La Merced days, which got me thinking about teachers I had and girls I liked, which got me thinking about ... And the list went on and on and on.
I was a kid full of potential. Now that I'm 25 and looking back, I couldn't help but wonder if I had met that potential and done what God had intended me to do to the fullest of my abilities. I don't quite know the answers to that one, but I know one thing: Looking back allows me to know where I've been and that'll help dictate where I'm going.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]