Tuesday, May 14, 2002

MEMORY LAPSES
I knew it wasn't going to be a good day memory-wise when I left my apartment is morning and forgot my lunch in the fridge. Sure, I could have just gone upstairs to buy some Taco Bell or to grab some nasty grub from the cafeteria, but I just decided not to eat. I don't need all those bad calories anyway.
But what made me sad was losing my gait belt. For those of you who don't know, a gait (meaning "walking") belt is used by all PTs who work in hospitals so we can hold onto our patients so they don't fall. I've sad countless people by holding them up and prevening them from falling down the stairs, tripping and landing onto the floor, etc. When I was doing an internship at Glendale Adventist, my clinical instructor bought me this very nice blue gait belt out of her own pocket. She thought I should have a better one than the cheapy PT school handout one I originally had. So, for the past 4 years, I've been using that belt to save people and to rehabilitate them back to full function.
Until today.
After working with a patient, I helped him back to bed and accidentally left the belt on him. About half an hour later, an ambulance came to transfer him to another hospital and he was gone. Right after he left, it donned upon me that I didn't have my belt. But it was too late.
This is like Luke Skywalker not having his light saber. Jackie Chan not having his kung-fu skills. Shaft not having his attitude.
Today, I am half the PT I once was. But I will re-group. Somehow.
I guess I'll have to fork over the $5 and get a new one.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]