Wednesday, May 15, 2002

THE BALL SQUEEZERS
About two weeks ago, my dad brought home about 5 of those small, squishy, squeezable balls that they often give out at job fairs and trade shows. They are called everything from stress relievers to play toys. Whatever you want to call them, my dad was very happy to bring home five that he had been given free of charge. They were all in the shape of a globe and advertising some hotel in San Francisco. Since my dad was so excited, I thought I'd go ahead and let him feel good about himself by telling him how nice they were. But I think I took it one step too far. I mistakenly told him that these would be good to give to some of my patients who have had strokes. They could use squeeze these balls and improve their grip strength.
Me and my big mouth!
When I came home the next weekend, I found a box FULL of those ball squeezers (probably about 125 of them in total). I was mortified. And so was my mother. "Now you've done it!" she said. So, I have no choice but to bring a ball a day and hand it to a patient who I think would benefit from it. And surprisingly, it has gone fairly well. Patients and families are happy they are getting something free and feel I'm going "the extra mile" for them. And my mom is happy because I'm slowly putting a dent in the number of balls in the box. She's already looking to throw the box away to keep our garage neat and tidy.
So if you feel your grip strenght is slipping, let me know and I'll give you a ball. Or two. Or three.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]