Friday, March 08, 2002

MOVIE REVIEWS
As promised, here are the movies I've been watching to help pass the time along with a quick blurb about my thoughts on them:
Rat Race: B+. I thought I'd hate this movie, but it actually was pretty entertaining. It had its funny moments, but overall it's pretty "stupid-funny" humor so that can only get you as high as a B+ in my book. But the ensemble cast was good and it was a good "escape" movie for me.
Shaft: B+. I finally finished it. I liked this movie for the same reason why I like rap music -- it's tough and makes me feel tougher too. I get told all the time how I'm too soft to make it in this world and watching a guy like Shaft intimidate people and back up his big talk with action is impressive to me. Plus, I love that '70s Isaac Hayes song ("He's a complicated man ...").
Macross Movie: A-. The last time I saw that movie, I was in the 5th grade. So, it was so exciting for me to watch it again and relive the story. I have to admit that I'm still sad to see the part when Roy dies (sorry to ruin the story if you didn't know that already). But this movie always begs the question: Which girl would YOU choose: the famous singer Minmei or the bossy, yet intelligent Lisa Hayes? Luckily for me, I think I got the best of both worlds in Karena (err ... umm ... I'm not referring to the bossy part). =)
The Princess Diaries: B+. My most embarassing moment of late was when Luong Baby dropped by my house unannounced and caught me watching this movie. But let's keep this on the downlow, okay? I thought Julie Andrews was great as the way-too-proper queen and the whole movie turned out to be much better than expected.
Blade: B. Wesley Snipes has some good fight scenes in this movie, but the plot is pretty predictable. I don't know why the whole vampire genre isn't played out already (with Dracula, Buffy, Queen of the Damned, etc.), but for some reason, I still like it.
Left Behind: The Movie C-. I felt, as a Christian, that I was a little obligated to watch this movie. Plus, I loved Kirk Cameron as Mike Seaver and his real-life wife as Kate in "Growing Pains". How bad could it be? Well, as it turns out, the acting was terrible and the story not easy to follow. Plus, I was disappointed because I don't think that non-Christians would have gone to see this movie. But I guess scaring them into becoming Christians isn't the answer either. The one thing I did like about his movie is that it reminded me (1) of the urgency in which we should be evangelizing and showing people God's love and (2) it reinforced the idea that we, as Christians, should TRULY be believers and followers of Jesus Christ and not just "play church" like we are sometimes prone to do.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]