Friday, March 01, 2002

THE FLIP SIDE
As a health care clinician, I have to admit that I have been impatient and sometimes not very friendly when it comes to dealing with patients. I have found myself saying things in my head like, "Don't they know I'm very busy?", "Don't they understand that I'm on a tight schedule?", "Why don't they lighten up? I'm only trying to help."
Of course, now that I'm on the flip side, I find myself thinking, "What is wrong with this doctor?", "Why isn't she willing to take a little time to help me?", "Isn't she supposed to advocate on my behalf?"
Being a patient is tough stuff - all the waiting, all the miscommunication, etc. But now that I've been on the flip side, I'm sure I will be a better clinician. And my patients will benefit from this experience as well.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]