Tuesday, March 19, 2002

BENIHANA
Since it was Allison's birthday yesterday, we took her out for lunch to Benihana by the Puente Hills mall. Personally, I know that place is a little pricey for the amount of food you're getting, but I chalk that up to paying for the show the chef puts on. All that spinning of his spatula, twirling of his knife, fast cutting and throwing of the food, etc. make up the whole novelty of that place. But what I don't like about it is that they make you wait for such a long time. So, it's imperative you always go there with people you can have good, long conversations so you don't die of boredom.
With all that in mind, I found it interesting that we sat with a woman who had ordered two entrees for herself (one of them "to go"). I guess if you order to go, you still have to sit and wait until the whole chef show is done before they can put it in a box for you. And once the food she ordered was done, she took literally two bites out of it and said, "Can you box mine up too?" Unbelieveable. She should have just gone to Sam Woo if she was going to eat like that. And she didn't eat one bite of her vegetables. All wasted! That was killing the Chinese part inside of me.
The two people on the other side of us were interesting too. I couldn't tell if they were on a date or out for lunch on business. It looked to me like there was a little hanky panky going on in the office if you ask me. But anyway, while the chef was cooking and putting on his show, they weren't even looking at him ... at all! Now excuse me, but I thought the whole point of going to Benihana is to watch the chefs work their magic. But they didn't even care. I was so appalled that I was going to lean over and ask them to watch out of courtesy to the chef!
I had the Lunch Delight (chicken and shrimp). The chicken was VERY good and the shrimp was not bad. I also had a Banana Berry Smoothie, but personally, I think the one that you can get at Costco tastes better. But they gave Allison a sliced-pineapple and sang happy birthday with a tambourine and even took a Polaroid of us and put it in a frame for her birthday. So, I think she was happy. And really, that's all that matters.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]