Monday, February 18, 2002

PEOPLE WATCHING
I'm not exactly sure why, but ever since I was a kid, I was fascinated at just watching people. Maybe I was drawn to how different everyone is or how many different kind of hair styles there could be. Whatever the case may be, this lovefest for people watching is still with me even today. And let me tell you, there is no better place to do this than at a J. Crew store - particularly the one in Old Town Pasadena on a Saturday night.
NOTE: Before I go into it, this blog is not intended to offend anyone. I am admitting up front that I am making rash generalizations about people and would never judge a person just on how they appear. This blog is merely for entertainment value only and should NOT be taken too seriously.
See, J. Crew has done a great job of marketing its clothing because you see such a wide variety of people there. That's why I love people watching there. Here are some of the interesting people I saw there last Saturday night:
1. An Asian guy who obviously worked out because his chest and arms were much bigger than mine yet his waist and legs were probably smaller than Karena's or my sister's. I mean this guy literally looked like a lightbulb - big on top, thin on the bottom. But he was stylin' - decked out in those tight beanies that football players wear under their helmets.
2. A Chinese high school/college guy complete with the extremely baggy pants and big sweater with his girlfriend who had the gold highlights in her hair and was wearing a lot of make-up. He's trying on a new sweater and asks his girlfriend to look for a bigger size, even though I already though the one he had on was too big for him.
3. A yuppie-type looking at $100 shoes dressed very conservatively in khakis and a nice top with a leather jacket and glasses. He puts downt he $100 and goes staright for the $150 ones.
4. Next to him was a young high schooler and his mom looking at the shirts on sale. Him mom was obviously giving him a hard time ("Try this one. You look good in this one!") And the son getting annoyed, saying, "No! Those shirts aren't cool anymore!")
5. And of course, the guy behind the counter - thin Asian guy with a very tight shirt, very tight pants, highlights in his hair, high, squeaky voice, and very affeminate in all his mannerisms.
As I left the store, I was definitely on sensory overload. But I couldn't help but wonder, what generalizations were these five individuals making about me?
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]