Wednesday, February 20, 2002

MOVIE REVIEWS
Since I was so sick this past weekend, I had nothing else to do but watch a bunch of movies. Here is a quick review of all the ones I saw:
Casablanca: B+. I don't think they make movies like this anymore and that both affected my feelings both for the better and for the worst. I'm sure this film was considered a bit violent for its time, but it's relatively tame for our standards today. I love the cliches that have come from the movie ("Here's lookin' at you, kid.", "We'll always have Paris.", "This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship."). And what I loved more was how cool and suave Humphrey Bogart was. What I didn't like about it was that it was kind of slow moving.
The Perfect Storm: B-. The acting was good and I felt it really was able to portray the lives of people who fish for a living: they have pressure, they have exhilariation, they have big decisions to make. (See Dick Lee's website for more on this.) Their wills are definitely tested on a daily basis, as are many of ours at our workplaces or in our lives in general. So what's the reason for the low grade? Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm just not mature enough to like a movie with such a sad ending. Sorry.
Moulin Rouge: A. I know I've ranted and raved about this movie before, but I watched for a second time and WOW was it still as good, if not better, than the first time. It's such an imaginative and creative piece of work that I don't even mind the joining of songs old and new together. Besides, I felt this was probably one of the only ways for a musical to make it big in today's movie industry. Sad, but true.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]