Sunday, February 24, 2002

LEGEND OF THE FALL
I know I haven't updated my blog in a few days. I originially had planned to write about Michelle Kwan's heartbreaking bronze finish or about Friday night's Koinonia.
But now, all those things have taken a back seat to a new topic - my knee. See, I went snowboarding Saturday with Karena, Nathan, Larry, Andy, and his friend Alvin at Bear mountain. Sure, it was a little warm, but the powder looked so beautiful. I was stoked to get back up there and hopefully learn to carve with some efficiency instead of just doing the "falling leaf" thing. But this time, there would be no carving. There would be no falling leaf. In fact, there wouldn't even be a ride up the lift.
While getting up onto my snowboard (arrrg, this is SOOOOO embarassing), I must have twisted my knee and strained one of my knee ligaments. So, down I fell and I immediately knew something was VERY wrong. At the very least, it's just a strain (like a bad sprained ankle) and should be fine in a few weeks. At worst, my lateral meniscus could also be affected leading to possible surgery. We'll have to wait and see.
Anyway, they had to call snow patrol for me and they put me on the stretcher and wisked me down the mountain with the snowmobile(again, SOOO embarassing!). And you wouldn't believe this, but the ski patrol people have NO idea what they're doing. I mean, don't get me wrong. I appreciated that they were there, but all they have is a small cooler with ice they made in the freezer to give to people in Ziploc bags. No Advil, Tylenol or any other medications. No real splints, just they put some air into some slightly inflatable splints that do nothing. Plus, they were jerking my knee around all over the place and it hurt like you wouldn't believe.
Well, after Karena and Nathan had to drive my car home, I'm safe and sound now, using crutches. I can't straighten my knee or bend it all the way and there's no chance I can put even a little weight on it right now. I'll probably see the doctor tomorrow and probably won't be able to work for at least a few weeks.
Your prayers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]