Tuesday, January 29, 2002

SPELING ... ERR, I MEAN SPELLING
I'm convinced that there are probably about four words for everyone that they cannot spell. For me, I probably have many more, but here are the ones I can think of for me: privilege, definitely, judgment, and cessation. Privilege is by far the one I have struggled with most. It took me years to realize that there is no "d" in the word and many years after that to realize that there are as many "i"'s as "e"'s.
The reason why I'm such a bad speller is becauseI was traumatized in kindergarten after I entered a spelling bee, made it to the final six, and lost. Actually, I lost because I heard the teacher ask me to spell the word "well" when apparently, she said "will." After that, I hated spelling and thus, became a horrible speller.
And my friends haven't helped me much either. I don't want to say who this is, but this person told me she (darn, I said "she") had trouble differentiating between spelling the words "lose" and "loose." I gave her a reaffirming nod at the time, but really I was thinking, "What's the matter with you? You're super smart. How can you screw up "lose" and "loose." But soon afterward, I found myself making the very same mistake.
Thank God for spell-check.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]