Thursday, January 17, 2002

PARENTS
It's not easy maintaining a good relationship with parents at this age. In fact, I will go so far as to say that I may have it a little bit tougher than Raymond and Sandra because I'm the only child left down in Southern California. They have the benefit of talking to them on the phone regularly, without the expectations or responsibilities of having to do this or be there like I do. All their parenting instincts are funnelled to me. Of course, all their parent to child love comes my way too, so I guess I have to take the good with the bad. But I seem to be getting into more disagreements with them these days.
Now, that's not to say that we're at each other's throats. That would be the furthest from the truth. But, for a kid who rarely (if ever) got into disagreements with my parents, I have now been getting in some. Maybe it's the nature of the age. I'm an adult now and naturally have to deal with bigger issues. Maybe I'm making some choices that aren't good and they, in their parental wisdom, can see down the road and are trying to prevent disaster. And maybe, sometimes, there are just things that aren't in either one of our hands and leave both of us with no one to blame.
Whatever the case may be, it's definitly hard on me as, I'm sure, it is for them. But I think we've been using these situations to deepen our relationship with each other. The parent-child relationship is being molded into a deeper, more meaningful relationship ... and, despite the difficult transition, I'm very excited about the prospects. Because the bottom line is I've ended up loving them even more.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]