Tuesday, January 08, 2002

NIKI, THE GIRL FROM TEXAS
I'm being followed by this girl, Niki from Texas this week at work. She's already a PT working in a 20 patient geriatric unit and is here to see how I interact and motivate elderly patients who have altered mental status, dementia, or are just confused. And get this, her company gave her an all-expenses paid trip complete with air fare, rental car, place to stay, and meals. Now, how amazing is that? And the crazy thing is that I don't even think she's learning anything from me. I mean, there is absolutely no magical secret to working with patients who aren't all there cognitively. You try to be supportive, speak slowly and loudly, and give simple, one-step commands. That's it! I could have told this info to her over the phone or send an email. Or, she could have just stayed in Texas and read my advice on this webpage. But somehow, she worked her way into a free trip to LA - a trip where she has spent more time talking to me about places to visit and things to see than what she's actually learning from me professionally. In the three short days she is spending here, she's going to Rodeo Dr, eating on La Cienaga (aka Restaurant Row), visiting family in Newport Beach, and seeing the crazies at the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. Not bad for a supposedly professionally-based all-expenses paid trip, huh?
I wish I could strike a deal like that.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]