Wednesday, January 02, 2002

THE NEW YEAR'S COUNTDOWNS
When you hear the word "countdown" around New Year's, your thoughts obviously go to Dick Clark and that ridiculous-looking ball in Times Square or shouting outing "3 ... 2 ... 1 ... Happy New Year!" at a party, or something like that. But my thoughts? Well, they go directly toward any and every radio station who is having a year-end countdown.
I am obsessed with countdowns. In fact, I still have on tape Rick Dees' Top 80 of the '80s (#1 was The Police's "Every Breath You Take" by the way) and KIIS-FM's Top 40 of 1989 (Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" narrowly beat up my favorite Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes.") This year, I tried listening to all of them - from the jazz station's (KLON 88.1FM in LA) 88 all-time jazz hits (missed #1) to Hot 92.3's 200 Greatest R&B songs of all time (#!: Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?") to Star 98.7's Top 200 of the 90's (missed #1, but I think it was Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit") to The Fish's Top 200 Christian Songs of All Time (#1: Nicole C. Mullen's "When You Call on Jesus") to KROQ's Top Songs of 2001 (#1: Linkin Park's "In the End") to KIIS's Top 80 or 2001 (#1: Lifehouse's "Hanging By a Moment"). In fact, I would try to stay up late to hear more of it or sneak out during lunch (I had to work New Year's Day) just to catch a little more. And of course, I looked up all the lists on the radio stations' respective web pages. Obsessed? You bet I am.
This just gives you more proof how absolutely nuts I am.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]