Tuesday, January 22, 2002

MLK
Very few people know this, but I have a great respect and admiration for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. When people ask who me which person, alive or dead, I would most like to have lunch with, my answer is always Jesus as #1 and Martin Luther King as #2. Maybe it's all those flowery articles I read about him as a kid in school, but I think it's great that he overcame challenges not with hatred or violence, but with peaceful demonstrations, powerful words, and moving sit-ins. So, to honor him, I always go on the internet to read his "I Have a Dream" speech every MLK Day and every April 4th, the day he was assassinated in Memphis. I also listen to "Pride (In the Name of Love)" by U2 VERY loudly in my car to commemorate the day. Early morning, April 4. Shot rings out in the Memphis sky. Free at last, they took your life. But they could not take your pride.
Like yesterday's entry about choices, I think Dr. King made choices ... and chose wisely. He was a man who chose to be committed to His faith and chose to be committed to his cause.
And ultimately, his choices allowed him to declare with confidence, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we're free at last!"
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]