Saturday, December 01, 2001

SWEET NOVEMBER
I ended up watching the movie Sweet November (Keanu Reeves, Charlize Theron) with Karena Thursday night. It was alright - maybe a B-, but you should take my review with a grain of salt because I fell asleep while watching it. In the movie, Charlize is dying of cancer and decides to live her life to the fullest. Her idea of this is taking in one guy a month to help them get over whatever problems they have and to really live. One month because it's long enough to help them, but not too long so that they don't get too attached (since she's dying). Keanu, an up-tight advertising mogul who is too attached to his cell phone and his business, is her November guy, hence the name.
But what I want to talk about is a question Keanu asks her during the movie. It was something to the effect of: "Who said that it's better to live your life by stopping to smell the roses than to live as a responsible person?" Meaning, is it more beneficial to watch sunrises and sunsets, spend the day carefree at the beach than to, say, hold down a steady job and be responsible.
The practical part of me has to agree with Keanu. Whoa!
I understand that everyone thinks this is a better way to live because we never get to do that sort of thing because we're too wrapped up in our day-to-day city lives - working, watching TV, going to dinner, etc. - that we miss out on admiring the beauty of the morning dew on a rose petal. And I'm not saying that that's bad because I love doing that stuff (I'm a sap, remember?) But I still think it's better to live a responsible life.
And maybe I'm saying that because I'm trying to do my part in society by working hard at my job, making life better for the patients I see, etc. I'm also trying to play by the rules - pay rent on time, be devoted to one girl, call home to talk to mom now and again, etc. I'm looking to be responsible because I feel like there isn't enough of THAT in this world.
And again, I have to say Whoa!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]