Thursday, December 27, 2001

MY DAD'S 60th BIRTHDAY BASH
I spent Christmas night at my cousins' Tammy and Kimmy's house in Valencia. The night was complete with me making a feble attempt to play something melodious on their new drum set (it's a secret passion of mine to play the drums), taking a nice, albeit short nap, and watching the Lakers come from behind to beat the Sixers. All in all, a great night.
But the 26th always brings yet another party in our family - my dad's birthday. This one was especially meaningful because it was my dad's 60th birthday. It's crazy for me to think I now have a dad who's in his 60s, but that thought also makes me feel blessed. We had about 30 people cram into two tables in our own room at NBC for a traditional Chinese birthday dinner - you know, the cold plate to start, shark fin soup, the chicken, the duck skin with the buns, the fish, and of course, the long-life noodles. The definitely highlight of the evening was when Raymond gave a toast in Shanghainese that Sandra translated into Mandarin and that I translated into Cantonese. It was both heartfelt and very funny because neither one of us were very good ... but we were sure going to go down trying!
Besides, you know what hams we Shens are, so you know it was good!!!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]