Friday, November 02, 2001

DESTINY YANKEES
Let's get one thing straight: I hate the New York Yankees. I have hated them since the days of Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield, Ron Guidry, and Rickey Henderson. See, I am a Boston Red Sox fan and the Yankees are their enemies. That is why it bothered me so when New Yorkers made it seem like the Yankees were now America's team. And it would be un-American if one didn't root for them, especially now in the midst of the terorrist attacks.
All this time, I have managed to stay the course and hate those Yanks.
Until now.
It's no secret that I fell in love with New York while visiting there this past weekend. And I went with every intention to buy a NYPD or FDNY hat while I was there. (Now why it's FDNY and not NYFD, I have no idea, but that's another issue for another time). But, while I was there, I got caught up in Yankee fever ... to the point where I almost bought (ahh, dare I say it) a Yankees cap. I have been a big proponent of the phrase "Love New York, Hate the Yankees." But after all that's gone on in New York these past few months, I'm beginning to fold.
They are the team of destiNY. After all, how else can you explain being down in back-to-back games in the World Series and pulling out both games. Suddenly, these Yanks are one win away from another championship.
And for this year, at least, that would make me happy.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]