Thursday, November 15, 2001

THE BIG HONKIN' TEMPLE
Because my good friends Mark and Gina were away these last two weeks in Australia (on the trip that I helped Mark win when he referred me to my job), I have been going to their place to water their plants, pick up their mail, etc. But it's not such a bad deal because they have a sweet condo and just walking around in there makes me feel good ... and rich.
Stopping off at their place also means that I take a different route home. This route forces me to pass by the big honkin' Mormon temple on Santa Monica. In fact, from Mark's balcony, you get a great view of the high rises in Beverly Hills, the nice LA skyline, ... and Joseph Smith on top of the temple. You always know it's a Mormon temple because they take about 50 acres of extra land (I don't really know how much an acre is, but my point is that they take a lot of extra land) and add a grassy area around an already huge place of "worship." It's just sad to see all this money and all these people going towards the Mormon faith. And I say that because I am a Christian who believes in salvation by grace, not by works. And I believe that we do NOT become gods after we're dead. Nor do I believe in polygamy. And it's even more sad for me because I have a lot of Mormon friends who are so unbelieveable awesome. There's my college roommate Norm, Karena's co-worker Rod (maybe the funniest guy I know outside of CEFC), my old neighbors, some of my co-workers, etc. And I know I joke a lot about Mormon NBA players who suck (read: Shawn Bradley, Keith Van Horn just to name two), but the truth is that I feel bad for them because they are not believing in the true God.
But something can be learned from them. Mormons, in general, are so committed to their faith and so committed in their morals, and yet still are fun, down-to-earth people. That's an amazing juxtaposition (I'm not sure if that's the right word, but I like it so I'm sticking with it!). That's what makes them so awesome. We, as Christians, should learn a thing or two about being committed without getting overly preachy or holier than thou. And even though it's voluntary, most go on Mormon missions. How many of us, including yours truly, haven't done any kind of missions work? Although I disagree with their teaching and their methods, I do applaud them for their devotion. I hope and pray that I have that same fire for God because how much more should my fire be because I know I'm worshipping and serving the one and only true God?
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]