Wednesday, November 07, 2001

BAG O' BAGELS
Here's the lesson of the day, kids: Don't EVER go grocery shopping when you're hungry. And this rule especially applies if you're a Chinese guy because you'll be buying everything that's on sale. And that's no joke!
There I was yesterday at Vons with everything in my cart from broccoli to Nestle's Tandem Ice cream bars (half Nestle Cruch bar, half graham cracker ice cream sandwich.)
And then, I saw it.
"BAG OF BAGELS. Fill this bag with as many bagels as you can for only $1.99" To me, this sounded like a challenge. I resisted at first, but as they say, the spirit is willing, but the stomach is weak. So, I grabbed the bag and started packing it very carefully to maximize the number of bagels.
I filled the bottom with four bagels. Sweet!
The next row: Four again. I am the man!!!
The next row: Three. What the? I was determined to make it four. So I scrunched the fourth bagel in the bag and MADE it fit. I was so proud of myself. I had done my Chinese heritage proud. Somewhere, my ancestors were smiling down on me.
But as I put the bag onto the cart, the unthinkable happened.
Because I couldn't close the bag properly, the bagels came pouring out onto the floor. So, much for feeling proud. Now, I just felt stupid standing there is a pile of my own bagels.
Next time, I'll just pay a little more and go to Noah's.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]