Monday, November 19, 2001

AUNTIE AMY
Ever few years, my mom's cousin Amy (I call her Auntie Amy because you know how Chinese people are - everyone is your Auntie or Uncle) comes to visit from England. I have always enjoyed these visits because of her accent: She always says things like, "Your mum is great fun", "Thank you, love", or "I am terribly sorry." It's like having my own Harry Potter movie character staying at home with me.
But what I love more about her visits is the things she notices. I always wish that one day, I could see the small things of this world like she does.
When I was in high school, she commented on how beautiful the city lights were: "They are like burried treasure that is being uncovered. Its expanse is like a reflection of the stars in the night sky. So beautiful!" Back then, I just thought the lights were no big deal, but since then, I have really learned to appreciate them.
This time, she was talking about our mild weather, especially in November when its cold everywhere else. "What I really love about Los Angeles weather is not just the warmth amidst the blue skies, but how subtle it is. It is not boastful about itself. In London, weather like this would be big news, the top story. Everyone would be talking about it and it would intrude on your life. But here, it's nice that it's just there to perfectly complement what you're going to do that day. It's really quite lovely and great fun."
See what I mean?
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]